England vs. USWNT – International Friendly
Date: October 7, 2022
Venue: Wembley Stadium; London, England
Broadcast Time: 2:30 p.m. ET
Official Kickoff Time: 3 p.m. ET
Starting XI vs. England: 1-Alyssa Naeher; 3-Alana Cook, 6-Trinity Rodman, 8-Sofia Huerta, 10-Lindsey Horan (Capt.), 11-Sophia Smith, 12-Naomi Girma, 15-Megan Rapinoe, 16-Rose Lavelle, 17-Andi Sullivan, 23 -Emily Fox
Available Subs: 2-Ashley Sanchez, 4-Becky Sauerbrunn, 5-Hailie Mace, 7-Ashley Hatch, 13-Alyssa Thompson, 14-Sam Coffey, 18-Casey Murphy, 19-Crystal Dunn, 20-Jaelin Howell, 21-Aubrey Kingsbury, 22-Kristie Mewis, 25-Savannah DeMelo
GAME NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW – ENGLAND
- USWNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (Including this match): Rapinoe (195), Horan (119), Naeher (85), Lavelle (81), Sullivan (34), Smith (24), Huerta (22), Fox (20), Cook (17), Rodman (8), Girma (8)
- Four players in this XI – Naeher, Horan, Lavelle and Rapinoe – saw action in the most recent matchup between the USA and England, a 2-0 win for the USWNT on March 5, 2020, in the SheBelieves Cup.
- Horan, Naeher and Lavelle are the only three starters for tonight’s match at Wembley who started against England in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup semifinal. In that match Horan assisted Alex Morgan’s game winner in the 31st minute while Naeher saved a penalty kick in the 84th to secure the 2-1 win for the USA.
- The match against the Lionesses marks the USWNT’s second time playing at Wembley Stadium and the first since the 2012 Olympic gold medal match, in which the USA defeated Japan, 2-1. Rapinoe is the only starter in today’s match who played in that game at Wembley.
- This starting lineup averages 55 caps per player with Rapinoe and Horan the only players in the lineup with 100+ caps. Six players – Smith, Huerta, Fox, Cook, Rodman and Girma – have fewer than 25 caps, including Rodman and Girma both in single-digits.
- Lindsey Horan will wear the captain’s band as she earns her 119th career cap and makes her 11th start of 2022. Horan scored his first goal of the year and the 26th of her international career in the Sept. 3 win over Nigeria. Since the start of 2020, Horan has played in 40 matches for the USA and has been directly involved in 22 goals – with 14 goals and eight assists.
- Alyssa Naeher will earn her 85th career cap as she makes the start in goal for the USA in what will be her fourth career start against England. Naeher, who provided the heroic penalty save in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup Semifinal against the Lionesses, has two clean sheets in her previous three matches against England, all wins for the USA. Overall, Naeher has 50 career shutouts and boasts the highest shutout percentage in USWNT history.
- Alana Cook will make her 13th start of the year as she earns her 17th cap overall with the USWNT. Cook, who attended one senior team camp with the Lionesses, as her father is British, leads the USA with 1,016 total minutes played in 2022 and has played the full 90 minutes in nine of her 12 appearances so far this year.
- Emily Fox is set to earn her 20th career cap as she makes 12th appearance – and 12th start – of the year. The Ashburn, Virginia native recorded her first international assist on September 3 against Nigeria. Fox has played in 15 of the USA’s 18 matches since the October 2021 FIFA window, making 14 starts during that span.
- Defender Naomi Girma will earn her eighth cap as she makes second consecutive start and the sixth overall of her young career. Girma, who made her international debut on April 12 vs. Uzbekistan, made four appearances and two starts at the Concacaf W Championship, where she was named to the Tournament Best XI along with Becky Sauerbrunn, Alex Morgan and Rose Lavelle.
- Sofia Huerta will make her fifth consecutive start as she makes her 22n/a career appearance for the USA. Huerta has started and played the full 90 minutes in each of her last four international appearances, the longest such streak of her USWNT career.
- Rose Lavelle will make her 81st international appearance as she makes her 12th start of 2022. Lavelle, who made her international debut against England on March 4, 2017, started and won the 2020 FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium on November 1, 2020, while playing for Manchester City. Lavelle has been directly involved in 10 goals in the USA’s last 11 matches, tallying four goals – including the game-winning header on September 6 against Nigeria — and adding six assists during that span.
- Megan Rapinoe will earn her 195th career cap as she makes her second start of 2022 and first since June 28. Rapinoe, who assisted Rose Lavelle’s game-winning goal against Nigeria on Sept. 6, has 73 career assists, which is tied with Abby Wambach for third-most in USWNT history. Rapinoe has two goals in four career appearances vs. England, scoring against the Lionesses in both 2011 and the 2019 SheBelieves Cup.
- Forward Trinity Rodman will make her first career start for the USWNT as she earns her eighth career cap. Rodman made her USWNT debut at age 20 on February 17, coming on against the Czech Republic to become the 69th teenager to earn a cap for the USWNT and the first since 2018. She scored her first international goal on April 12 against Uzbekistan, becoming the 31st teenager to score for the USA. The now 20-year-old Rodman also scored against Jamaica during the Concacaf W Championship and came on in the final minutes of the CWC Final against Canada on July 18, 2022, which marked her most recent action for the red, white and blue.
- Sophia Smith will make her team-high 14th start of the year as she earns 24th career cap. The 22-year-old Smith leads the USA in scoring with nine goals on the year, most recently scoring a brace and adding an assist in the USA’s 4-0 win over Nigeria on September 3. Smith has a total of 10 goals through her first 23 caps. The only players in USWNT history with more goals through their first 23 caps are Abby Wambach (14), Christie Welsh (13), Carin Jennings-Gabarra (12), Michelle Akers (12), Christen Press (12) and April Heinrichs ( 11).
- Midfielder Andi Sullivan is set to earn her 34th cap as she makes her 12th appearance – and 12th start – of 2022. Sullivan is third on the team in total minutes played in 202 with 859 minutes of action and has gone the full 90 minutes in four of her last five appearances for the USWNT.
- Midfielder Savannah DeMelo and forward Alyssa Thompson are the only uncapped players on this roster and are both available for selection tonight. Should either see the field, she would become the 251st woman to earn a cap for the USWNT and the seventh debutant of 2022.
- At 17 years and 334 days old, Thompson could become the 70th teenager overall to earn a cap for the USWNT and the youngest player to debut for the USA since January of 2016 when Mallory Pugh made her debut at 17 years and 269 days of age.